Being in this show in the fall of 2018 was a highlight of the year! I had the fortune to play several roles: Teacher, Judge, Tailor and Carol Strong. With a terrific cast and amazing music, this was a group that banded together under the skillful direction of Ruth Mandsager.
It has been my delight to create and run the Majestic Summer Theatre Adventure for young thespians over the last three summers. With an amazing staff, we put together a full production in just ten days of rehearsal time. We serve between 50 and 60 students each summer – actors, dancers, singers, and technicians. Here are local newspaper articles describing our junior versions of THE JUNGLE BOOK, WIZARD OF OZ, and MY SON, PINOCCHIO. Enjoy reading!
This beautiful concert is coming right up – and so is BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at Corvallis High School! I am playing the harp in the pit for that. Check out csdtheaters.com for tickets! BEAUTY begins on February 22nd and goes through the middle of March, 2019
I have so enjoyed playing with The Willamette Valley Symphony and the Salem Philharmonia Orchestra over the last couple of years. I have grown so much in my playing and I feel so happy to have had these opportunities. I am so sorry I didn’t capture Jaclyn LaRue’s beautiful posters for you to see, but here is a listing of what I’ve played with these groups:
- “The Banks of the Green Willow,” George Butterworth
- “The Nocturnes,” Claude Debussy
- “Petite Suite,” Claude Debussy
- “Romeo & Juliet Overture-Fantasy,” Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- “Symphonie Espagnole in D Minor,” Edouard Lalo
- “The Swan of Tuonela,” Jean Sibelius
- “Symphony #2 in D Major,” Jean Sibelius”
- “The Planets,” Gustav Holst
- “Lt. Kijie Suite,” Sergei Prokofiev
- “La Forza del Destino,” Giuseppe Verdi
- “Star Wars Epic Suite,” John Williams
- “Star Trek” (2009) and “Star Trek Into Darkness” (2013), Michael Giacchino
- “Star Trek Through the Years,” Calvin Custer (no “official” harp part, but I threw harp glissandi in wherever I could!)
- “American Salute,” Morton Gould
- “Also Sprach Zarathustra,” Richard Strauss (“harped” the piano part…)
- “An Outdoor Overture,” Aaron Copland (“harped” the piano part…)
- “The Star-Spangled Banner,” John Smith (“harped” the piano part…)
- “Samson and Delilah – Bacchanale,” Camille Saint-Saens
- “Symphony in Bb Major,” Ernest Chausson
- “Showboat” Highlights, Jerome Kern
- “The Music Man” Symphonic Impressions, Meredith Wilson (arr. Richard Hayman)
- “Camelot” Selection for Orchestra, Lerner and Lowe (arr. by Robert Russell Bennett)
- “Oklahoma” For Orchestra, Rodgers and Hammerstein (arr. by Robert Russell Bennet)
- “West Side Story” Orchestral Selections, Leonard Bernstein (arr. by Robert Russell Bennett)
- “Selections from Phantom of the Opera,” Andrew Lloyd Weber (arr. by Calvin Custer) – I played Electronic organ for this one: “DAAAA! Da, da, da, da, DAAAAA!”
- “The Cowboys” Overture, John Williams (I played this with the Willamette Concert Band)
- Another one with Willamette Concert Band – I can’t remember what!
It was so lovely to play on the opera pieces for this concert:
“Nessun Dorma” always made me cry! “O Sole Mio!” was amazing to hear sung by this world-class tenor. “The Flower Song” from CARMEN and so many others were a joy to play!
Check out this interview with me for the No Pants Project! Mike Shreeve’s Groups and courses are especially for Freelancers, but work for everyone! I had a wonderful time being interviewed by Delicia Ivins as someone who uses the program in a different manner. Give it a listen!
I’m so excited to play again at Bridie’s Irish Faire in Nye Beach, Oregon this Saturday, April 21st, 2018 from 11:00 to 2:00. This place combines two of my favorite inspirations: the ocean and all things Irish! Click the link above to go to the Bridie’s Facebook Page!
Right now I am working on an online Theatre Arts Curriculum for the Metro East Web Academy. This is pretty exciting stuff! The school is in Gresham, Oregon, two hours away from my home. I’ll be teaching as well, and I was worried about how much availability I would need for my students until the Vice Principal told me they had one teacher who’d been in New Orleans all year, so I guess I have nothing to worry about. https://www.mewebacademy.org/
This should be a good fit for me, since I can still keep my tutoring students, my voice students, my harp gigs, my choir accompanying position, and my long-term sub position in English at Ashbrook Independent School. Still working on getting MY SON PINOCCHIO, JR ready for this summer’s Majestic Theatre Summer Adventure.
With a house of 3 generations there is no down time. Danny, my youngest son, leaves on a mission for two years in just 10 days. He will serve the Spanish Speaking people of Southern Utah and he will learn Spanish in Mexico City for six weeks first. One Grandson just turned four. Another will turn 2 next week. The littlest is just 2 months, and the oldest girl will be 7 at the end of May. My third son, Stephen, will be 28 in a few days! How can I have kids this old already?
The fridge ate our house, so the floors have been torn up and we are waiting to finalize our designs for remodeling the house. Sigh. We all moved into the house behind us. The one good thing about having a temporarily deserted home nearby is that the whole house is our music studio and we can practice at any time of day or night without fear of waking anyone!
Last night we watched THE SECRET LIFE OF ARIETTY. Both Eric and I loved Mary Norton’s THE BORROWERS when we were young. What a beautiful adaptation of such a sweet story! The revelation for both of us was Cecile Corbel, a French Canadian folk harpist who composed all the music for the film. Hauntingly beautiful Irish/Turkish/Japanese music with harp, her lovely voice, cello, violin, drums and 12 string guitar. Check her out!
This is a compilation of favorite Celtic songs, including “The Water is Wide,” “Women of Ireland” and originals, mixed with the varied sounds of the ocean. Great for soothing bedtime music or for calming anxious souls. $15, includes shipping. Contact me via email@example.com to order. Samples coming soon!